Friday, September 11, 2009

Numbers 9:1 - 14:45


I went looking for a map of the Exodus. It was very hard to pick. But then I found this. It is beautiful and old and the geography is wrong. But I like it. So, I'll look for a more accurate one tomorrow [or the next time I post - see note at the very bottom!]

Hi.

It's been a while. Sorry about that. 19 credit hours this semester. Blah.

I'm sooo stressed out. Trying not to drown in schoolwork. Worried about money. Attempting not to fall too far behind in the everyday chores like helping Sadie with her homework, laundry and sleep. Not to mention the dreaded to-do list that includes a parking ticket appeal and CSE paperwork, among other things.

Forgive me for being so transparent. I think it's my nature. And I cringe every time someone asks me "how it's going". I loathe giving the pat, "Great! How are you?" but I doubt they truly have time to care. Also, [and hypocritically] usually when someone tells me how they're honestly doing, I think they're just whining.

On a random note, I took the Myers-Briggs personality test earlier today. I'm an ENFP. A Champion Idealist. Jermaine is an INFJ. A Counselor Idealist. We're both rare but Jermaine is more rare. That's not really surprising. Heh, it's also not surprising that we're both idealists. :)

Okay. Yeah. That had nothing to do with the Bible. I just wanted to share. Thank you for letting me share.

The Skinny:

Chapter 9 - God reminds the Israelites to celebrate [and remember!] the Passover. They ask what to do about unclean people and God instructs them to let everyone [clean, unclean and foreigners alike] participate [I don't know all the technicalities behind the meaning of this gesture, but I get the feeling that it was kind of a big deal]. The last part of the chapter describes how he dwelt with his people, in the form of a cloud [during the day] and fire [during the night]. He showed them where he wanted them to go by actually removing his presence and going somewhere else [they were to follow]. Chapter 10 - Aw, MAN, the two silver trumpets. This is so bad-ass! And so Chronicles of Narnia! I just love it [if you couldn't tell]. The second part of the chapter records the first time the cloud of God actually lifts from their tabernacle and the order in which the tribes follow. In the last part of the chapter we get a little glimpse of a story - Moses pleading with his brother-in-law, Hobab, to stay with the Israelites because Hobab knows the desert. He finally agrees. Chapter 11 - Yikes. This one's a doosy. The people are complaining about their hardships. So God, in anger, sends a fire to burn up the outskirts of the camp. And Moses complains to God, saying that this whole thing [leading the people of Israel] is just too much for him. God has him call 70 elders and God puts the Spirit into them and they prophesy [and it looks like there might have been some sort of scribal error - either they prophesied and "did not do so again" [11:25b] or "continued to do so" as described by the footnote]. The fire doesn't stop the people from complaining. This time it's about food. They are sick of Manna. They want meat. So, God gives them quail, but with a fatal catch. "While the meat was still in their teeth [11:33] God strikes down all who eat the quail with a severe plague. Chapter 12 - Miriam AND Aaron start speaking out against Moses because his wife is a Cushite. God is not happy with them and strikes Miriam with a bad case of leprosy. Moses pleads with God to heal her, but God insists she endure the punishment for a week. Chapter 13 - 12 leaders are picked to go explore the promised land. They go. And it's beautiful. But it's inhabitants scare these explorers. And all but two [Joshua and Caleb] "spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land" [13:32]. Joshua and Caleb seem to grasp how dangerous this bad report could be and beg them to stop. Chapter 14 - Sigh. Too late. God is REALLY mad. He wants to kill them all. Moses talks him out of it [!], saying that it would give God a bad rep in Egypt. Interesting note: Moses asks God to forgive them. And God does. Plan B includes making them wander the desert for 40 years. Until all people 20+ who failed to trust God's plan are dead. With the added detail that the children of the Israelites, whom the griping people said would be taken as plunder, will be able to enter Canaan. Shortly after that, some of the people take back what they said and decide to go up to the land anyway. Moses tells them they're crazy, and that the Lord will not be with them. But they don't listen. Yeah, you can probably guess what happens to them. It's not pretty.

Wow. I guess we're back to long skinnies. You may have already figured this out about me, but I think it's worth noting anyway: I don't often to stick to a system. I don't understand why or how my last couple posts have had such short skinnies. Or why the preceding ones were so long. I'm not sure if it's me or the chapters [although I have a hunch that it might be me]. When I was a little girl [maybe 11 or 12] I got so fed up with the predictability of my parents I remember standing in front of my bathroom mirror and vowing never to have a boring, predictable schedule when I became an adult. Heh, the irony is that I've spent much of my adult life searching for some sort of order in the chaos that is my life.

Anyhoo. Back to the Bible. Yeehaw!

Chapter 9 - I love that God mandates feasting. And remembering. And that includes everyone. So freaking awesome.

Chapter 11 - Can I just ask the obvious question? Does it not seem like they would get the picture? "Hmm. When we have faith God provides in amazing ways. When we complain, he kills us. Maybe we shouldn't complain."

I have wrestled with this a lot. I want not to judge them. I want to be humble enough to admit that in the exact same situation I could very well be one of the complainers. But, gosh, when I read it, I just feel like screaming, "Come ON, people! Get a grip."

Additionally, I think it's interesting that when Moses complained, God very often helped him. I think maybe we're supposed to see the difference in the two ways of approaching difficult stuff. One leads to death [maybe not literally, but in a round about way, I've heard it said that all sin leads to death] and one leads to God's mercy. The main difference I can see: the people were complaining to each other. Moses was complaining to God.

Chapter 12 - Can we talk about this? Why doesn't Aaron get afflicted with leprosy? He was talking against Moses too!

I was really questioning this passage. It made me sad. But then I thought of something [or read something a long time ago and just remembered it]. The fact that she was punished could actually speak volumes about how much authority she must have had; the leaders being the ones who most often bare the brunt of the responsibility. Now, of course, we know Aaron was a crucial leader. But, I think, this passage may be an indication that Miriam played a big leadership role, too.

Chapters 13 and 14 - Just like the Titanic and Romeo and Juliet, every time I read this passage I hope they change the ending.

I love Moses' relationship with God. And I love that Moses trusts God enough to engage in this dialogue. It's a very beautiful thing.

Oh, man. Those crazy Israelites. Going up to Canaan after they spoke out against God and lost his favor in their endeavor. Now that sounds like something I would do.

Two final notes:

1. I have reverted back to my non-scholarly ways. I think it's better this way. Let me know what you think! Ooh, and please note: I didn't look up anything for this post. And so, a lot of it is speculation and pondering. Again, going back to the point of this blog - to get through it and to do it together - feel free to add any insight you may have.

2. This might be it for a while. I may have to put this blog on hold - not sure how long. Er, I have to focus on school. I'm hoping that once I get used to being back, it'll be easier to post more often. Please be patient with me while I work it all out. Love!

Oooh - one more thing - I almost forgot to mention - the next reading is Numbers 15:1 - 20:29. :)

2 comments:

  1. I will be here online waiting for you until you come back . . . so the dog will have to be your responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The main difference I can see: the people were complaining to each other. Moses was complaining to God."

    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments. :)