Thursday, August 27, 2009

National pimp your husband day

Yeah. Okay, that's not a real day. But it should be!

[Side note: I went through this phase where I would dissect funny phrases - for example: This is funny because by "pimp" I mean I'm trying to help him get a job -- BUT the type of job implied is inappropriate, and inappropriate things are funny]

[Other Side Note: Normally, copying and pasting from Red Bubble is a horrible and plageristic idea, but in this case I'm showcasing the designer and I, also, live with him, so it's okay]

Forgive me for not blogging Numbers again today. Feeling a little under the weather. And I have to work in the morning. And the other day, I tried to stay up late and blog [and I did] - but then I overslept and ended up being an hour late to my cleaning gig. :( My friend, whom I clean for, was SUPER nice about it. But, still, I felt bad.

So, nothing but a short pimping blog tonight.

This blog was inspired by Mr. Rob Bell [shocking, right?]. I was at Borders Books today, and I began to read through Drops Like Stars. I got to page 43. That's not important but I wanted to share.

He tells a story of an AWESOME college essay submitted to NYU by this guy named Hugh Gallagher. Bell says that we call people who do things like this the type to "think outside the box". But there's a problem, because simply by using that phrase we are admitting that the box is still the main frame of reference. Bell says that folks like Gallagher stand out because they change the question.

They ask,"There's a box?"

I've been reading about all kinds of people who asked this question in order to get a job in these troubled times. This article by CNNmoney.com is supercalafragalistic and very helpful.

Jamie Varon, founder of Shatterbxox Media, tried and applied to Twitter but was found wanting. So, she created twittershouldhireme.com. Within 24 hours of the website's debut, Twitter was on the phone.

Ahem, SO, this is my attempt to question the Great Big Box and perhaps help my humble husband get a job. I must add, though, he is one of the great "There's a box?" askers. If you attended our wedding [or saw the pictures], you already know that.

Hmm. Where should I start? Incredible aspiring graphic designer? Check [here and here]. Talented and hilarious writer? Check [here]. Ridiculously gifted musician? CHECK [he is no longer with the band, but you can go here to get a feel for what he does].

The term "artsy" doesn't even begin to describe him. And, he may be one of the funniest guys I've ever met in my life. Oh! And as if all that wasn't enough, he's building a computer from scratch [and blogging about it here]!

One more thing. We're both sick right now. And I must say, he's taking far better care of me than I am of him. He would get mad props anyway because I am a great big baby when I'm ill - but put up with me and a bad head cold - that's a God thing right there.

Okay, I lied - four more things. He just started two volunteer gigs with Cedar Ridge [our church] - the first helping CRCC build a better website and the second with all things Middle School [ooh - he's got some serious experience in this area because he and his cousin Dwayne [the one with the awesome dreads from the last blog] led CounterCulture - the youth group at Wheaton Woods Baptist Church for 2 years]. To top it all off, he does a mean dramatic reading.

Also, he's an educated fool. With an Associates degree from Montgomery college, he moonlights as a full time IT student at the University of Phoenix.

He's really good at helping me carry out my crazy plans. We put on a week of 24-7 prayer together at WWBC. He became the only non-student member of the organization I founded at MC to help raise awareness and help the victims of the genocide in Darfur. And he graciously lets me decorate the apartment however I want no matter how much he dislikes it [as long as I don't mind that he dislikes it].

He's one peaceful, nurturing funky dude who knows how to par-tay [except he doesn't like the taste of alcohol - but he makes a topnotch DD]. I'm hard-pressed to think of one person who doesn't like him.

Oh, and of course, you can follow him on Twitter. Like I said, he's a very funny guy.

He got laid off last April. It's been an exciting and scary ride. He's amazing - full of hope and faith in God. I'm, er, learning. Struggling. Wrestling. But, when it's all said and done, I think this could be the beginning of something beautiful.

Once again, thank you for reading my blog. And, just so you know, - and this not a bribe - but, if you help get Jermaine a job, there's a good chance I'll feel a strong desire to bake you brownies. And kiss you. Unless you don't want me to. Then I won't. Because that would be weird.

Just joshing. G'night. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Almost forgot to mention! You can contact him at jermainelovesyou@gmail.com. And he truly does. Very very much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments. :)