Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The art of the sermon

No Bible blog tonight. I'm beat.

I've been wanting to share these videos for a while now. Zach Lind, drummer for Jimmy Eat World, interviews Rob Bell. As this is the third time I've posted a Rob Bell video, you may be starting to get tired of him. I'm not, so, sorry. ;)

Rob Bell Interview, Part 2 from Zach Lind on Vimeo.



The video is broken into three parts. This is the 2nd one, it's the last one I watched. I don't know why I watched them out of order, but I don't think you necessarily need to watch them in order [although, it is one long interview, chopped up into 3 10-20 minutes sound bites, so you may disagree]. If you can't bring yourself to watch the 2nd before the first, then you can go here and watch them in order.

Ooh, I remember now why I watched them the way I did! The last one is titled, "Zach asks Rob about his current topics of interest. Rob regrets something he said." I watched it first because I wanted to see what he regretted. At the end of that video he says something to the effect of, "Ooh, I wish I hadn't used the phrase "chopping the balls off the sermon". I thought it was strange because I didn't hear him say he was chopping the balls off of a sermon. And I thought I would have noticed that. After that, I started at the beginning, watching #1, and finally, I finished off with #2. Oddly enough, it is this video, #2, where he uses that salty phrase. Alas.

I really liked listening to the dialogue between the two guys. And the sermon as performance art [which they talk about late in this video], I love that. I love grenades in that setting [you may have to watch the video to make sense of these sentences]. I hope and pray I get to do that someday. Along with that, I pray for a dose of humility - and for God's will. This desire I feel to teach and preach and play with sermons, I think it's a God thing. But I pray to pray for God's will, even if it is not what I want.

Anyhow, enjoy! And thank you for reading my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments. :)