Sunday, August 23, 2009

Leviticus 26:1-Numbers 3:51


I do not feel like blogging tonight. I did something to my back [probably while hiking yesterday] and I'm plagued with a general sense of yuckiness.

But, the thing is, everyday it seems I can find another reason not to blog. :(

I'm tired.

It's late.

Criminal Minds is on.

I have to clean my room.

My nose itches.

So, you know what? Screw faulty reasoning. Let's do it! Here we go!

Chapter 26 - Promises and warnings. Chapter 27 - Giving the first fruits, the firstborn and the tithe. Chapter 1 - The census. Chapter 2 - The arrangement of the tribal camps. Chapter 3 - The Levites get assigned specific tasks according to their tribes.

Wow. This changes this quite a bit. That is one skinny skinny!

Since it is so short, I'm going to try to break it down chapter by chapter [for this blog, at least - let me know what you think!].

Promises - The magic word here is "if". If they obey, God will dwell with them just as it was in the Garden of Eden.

Also, in the Five Books of Moses, Robert Alter notes verse 10 - the NIV puts it this way - "You will still be eating last year's harvest when you will have to move it out to make room for the new."

Alter's translation - " And you will eat old grain long stored, and you will clear out the old for the new."

The "old grain long stored", according to Alter, is a key reference to the importance of keeping the Sabbath year. I once heard Rob Bell say [something to this effect] that the idea of rest for the land is simply "farming 101". It's essential. God, evidently, built it into the very fabric of our being.

Curses - 7 curses. And the phrase "7 times over" keeps popping up. And it's bad. It's read bad. Nelson's Quick Reference Chapter by Chapter Bible Commentary explains, "Enjoying the gifts while insulting the Giver is both selfish and idolatrous. We should obey God, not to "deserve" His blessings or even to avoid His chastenings, but to show our love to Him and our desire to please His heart."

After all the curses are said and done, God concludes with one more "if". Even after all the depravity, if they confess their sins, they will be forgiven. And though they will still have to face the consequences of their actions, God will be with them once again.

Hmmmm. If this is what "breaking it down chapter by chapter" looks like, I'm not going to be able to do that. Let's go back to highlighting. ;)

I want to dive into the beginning of chapter 27. Because reading it made me sad. Simply put, it says that men are worth more than women. The Women's Bible Commentary [edited by Carol A. Newsom and Sharon H. Ringe] offered me the only commentary I could find on this passage [though I'm sure there is probably much more]. Judith Romney Wegner wrote the commentary for Leviticus and she explains that these numbers related to a person's level of economic productivity according to their sex and age. She also notes, and I think rightly so, that the priests who came up with these numbers failed to factor in the economic benefits of child-rearing, care-taking, and housekeeping.

I think she is definitely on to something, but the thing is, God dictated these numbers to Moses. And I know God is not underestimating the value of women in society. So what gives?

Numbers is called Numbers because, well, it contains a lot of numbers. Specifically, I'm talking about the census at the beginning [and the end, which we'll talk about later]. It should be noted that this is a military census - all men over 20 fit to fight.

603,550. That's a LOT of people. There is some speculation about this. The Zondervan Handbook to the Bible notes that including women and children the Israelites would total 2-3 million. Buuut, also, the total could be a scribal error. The word "thousand" should possibly be interpreted "troop". Or/and that even today we use large numbers figuratively to describe "a lot of people".

Okay, last but not least, I thought it was interesting [but not surprising] that the Levites were given specific tasks. Something about the idea of God thinking of everything is a little bit thrilling to me. :)

Hmm. I think this ended up being somewhat shorter. I had a lot more time for commenting, that's for sure. And, actually, I finished in about a third of the time it usually takes me.

Sweet! Happy reading!

Tomorrow's [and yes, I do mean tomorrow] reading: Numbers 4:1 - 8:26. Wow- doesn't it seem so much easier and shorter this way?? Yay God!

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I'm happy to see the posts keep coming and coming ;)

    As a blog reader, I'm not really interested in a summary of the Bible. I could get that other places.

    I am interested in your (Brandy)reactions to the Bible. Good, bad, confused, surprised, disappointed or wowed -- I'm reading for your reactions.

    Why? Because they're honest.
    Because no one is paying you to do this.
    Because your job doesn't depend on it and maybe you think no one is even reading it.
    So you say what you really think.

    That's a good thing that's hard to find.
    Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting - that's really helpful!

    May I ask what your name is? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no way I can top that comment. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments. :)